Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tuesday and I'm back on the chemo pump.

I went in yesterday to get hooked back up to my portable chemotherapy pump. It's the beginning of week 3 and I'm almost halfway through the first phase of treatments. Woo Hoo!! I've been a little queasy all along and had tried two medications for it so far but yesterday they finally prescribed Zofran and my stomach is so happy. Not a bit of queasiness since they prescribed it and I even had some pepperonicis on my salad yesterday. I am beginning to get some pain on my fingers and toes though. They almost feel like I've scalded them or splashed hot oil on them. This is one of the possible side effects that they told me I might experience from the chemo. I'm just keeping lotion on them as much as possible so they don't start peeling and really hurting.

Today my boyfriend's daughters and my niece are coming over. They are all spending the night so we can sit around and make photo album scrapbooks, watch movies, eat popcorn, act goofy, and have a fun "Girls' Night". I figure I better do it now while I can because weeks 4 and 5 of chemo are supposed to be the worst.

I'm still working out at the gym on the weekends after I get the pump off and walking to my radiation appointments during the week. I've noticed that my endurance is not what it was pre-treatment, but it's still pretty good. The blood levels haven't dropped too much yet and I'm not anemic or neutropenic yet. Maybe next week.

Relay for Life is this Saturday through to Sunday. I now have 8 teams members with plenty of space for others to join in. I have to go and pick out my Relay for Life campsite tonight over at Solano Community College. I kind of joined this fundraiser a little late so I don't have the time to do it right, but next year I'll start earlier and really do it up. There's still time to make donations to help support cancer patients and the search for a cure and if you'd like to donate to my team follow this link: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RelayForLifeCaliforniaDivision?team_id=325049&pg=team&fr_id=4390

July 9 I had an ultrasound done on my right kidney to see if my doctor could determine the source of my right-sided pain which was my original complaint about 9 months ago before they found the cancer. She called yesterday to say that I have hydronephrosis which is basically fluid backing up into my right kidney but I am really concerned because of the nephrotoxicity of the chemotherapy if I have any kind of renal compromise. My doctor is trying to get a urology referral but in the meantime I am very concerned. I don’t want to do any damage to the right kidney and I'm hoping to get this checked out as soon as possible. I'm working on getting this put into the proper perspective so I can get my positive attitude back, but for now I'm a little down.

I just have to remember that I am really blessed that this happened at a point when medical treatments have come so far. It is so nice not to have to be hospitalized for all of my cancer treatments. Have a wonderful week and I will do my best to do the same!

No comments: