Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I've made it to week 2 of chemo and radiation.....

....and this week is going fantastic so far! I seem to have lots more energy and I've regained all of my good spirits. It has really helped me to focus on what I can do instead of what I can't and to be grateful for all that I can do and am allowed to do while undergoing my treatment.

The nurse that hooked me up to the chemo yesterday did a fantastic job and it is so much more comfortable than last week. That's not to say that the nurse that did it last week did a bad job, but she had to work around the healing incision and the allergic rashes I had developed to the transparent dressings.

I've managed to figure out a way to completely cover the chemo port on my chest so that I can take a quick shower without getting it wet. That has also helped to lift my spirits. Also the weather is heating up here again and my pool is finally getting warm, thanks to the bubble cover and 100+ temperature. Yay! I can't swim with the chemo pump on, but that's okay because I'm more into the sitting in the warm water and talking to friends than swimming.

I've been waking up super early these days. This morning I was up at 3:40 A.M. and since it's supposed to be another hot one today, I thought that would be a great time to make some homemade banana nut bread. I made one batch with my mom's famous banana nut bread recipe and then I tried a second batch with wheat flour instead. This cancer stuff is really making me look at the way I've been eating for several years and I've been making lots of subtle changes to my diet and my life.

I've got more visitors coming today so I'm going to try to straighten the house a little before I walk to my radiation appointment. I've scheduled all of those appointments in the morning so I can walk there before it really heats up. Not only am I not supposed to get sweat or water in my port, but in addition, almost every medication they have me on says to avoid sunlight or at least wear sunscreen. I'm doing the best I can at that.

Have a wonderful and blessed day!!!

1 comment:

chrislib said...

Debi,
This blog is a great idea. I am so glad to hear that this week is better. Your a tough cookie, keep it up.
Take care
Chris